thiruvannamalai siva temple
Thiruvannamalai Siva Temple,girivalam
Thiruvannamalai is a world renowned temple town in TamilNadu which is synonym to deepam(fire). Here Shiva (Arunachaleswar) is worshipped in the form of fire. This temple city is located about 180 kilometres from Chennai or when accessed from Vellore it is around 80 kilometres by road.
The temple dedicated to Lord Shiva was built between the 9th and the 10th centuries by the Chola kings of the Tamil empire. The temple is famous for its massive gopurams .It has been determined from an inscription in the structure that was made during the reign of Chola kings who ruled in the ninth century A.D
The Holy Mountain of Arunachala rises up with an elevation of 2669 feet (800 m). The Road encircling the mountain where devotees circumbulate is 8 1/2 miles which is 14 kms long. On Full Moon days and festival days (like Karthigai, first day of the Tamil month, Tamil New Year day) hundreds of thousands of devotees circumbulate (GIRIVALAM) the mountain and get the blessings of the Lord Arunachala.
. And people both young and old religiously go round on the full moon day. It is said to bring in abundant peace or calmness for the mental well being and also refreshing for the physical fitness.
There are Eight Lingas,Eight Nandis more than 350 tanks and many mandapas around the hill.The Eight Lingums are
1. Indira Lingum (direction:East) is the first lingam in the girivalam.
2. Agni Lingum (direction:South East) is the second lingam in the girivalam is in the chengem Road near tamary kulum.This is the Only Lingum situated in the righten side of the girivalam path,other lingams are in the Southern side.
3. Ema Lingum (direction:South) This is the third lingum in the girivalam path.It is 3 k.m. from Raja Gopuram.
4. Niruthi Lingum (directon:South West) This is the fourth lingum in the girivalam path. Sani thirthum is nearer to this lingum
5. Varuna Lingum (direction:West) It is in the Western direction and 8 k.m. from the Raja Gopuram.Varuna thirthum is next to this.
6. Vaaiu Lingum (direction:North West) is the sixth in the Row.
7. Kubera Lingum(direction:North) is the important Lingum in the Girivalam. People throw coins on this lingum.
8. Esanya Lingum (direction:North East) is the Last lingum in the girivalam.
The circumambulation path is 14 kilometres. History has it that even today a number of siddhars are living on the hill. It is auspicious to perform "Girilvalam" during every Full moon day which would do immense good. It is because during Full Moon Day siddhars movement would be there and the whole atmosphere would be filled with perfumes of herbal plants. This will provide peace of mind and good health to body. It is a proven fact that on every Full moon day lakhs of devotees circumambulate the Hill and get all benefits by praying to Lord Annamalaiyar
Thiruvannamalai hill is so charged with spiritual energy that spiritual benefits get magnified manifold here. Spiritual activities conducted here are thousand times more efficacious when compared to other places. Thiruvannamalai is constantly buzzing with millions and millions of Siddhas in their subtle form. These Siddhas bestow countless spiritual blessings on the devotees engaged in spiritual pursuits in Thiruvannamalai
. Hence the importance of visiting Thiruvannamalai and engaging oneself in spiritual activities there. Whether it be charitable works, service to the poor and the needy, meditation on the divine name or singing the divine name, do it in Thiruvannamalai and you'll reap untold spiritual benefits which will contribute to your rapid advancement on the spiritual path.